Planning Vacations
Explore our Waterways
Wilderness Photography
FacebookBloggerYoutubeFlickrTwitterSSC on GPlus
NW2Discover our Lakes and Backcounty
Q & A
Get Your FreeFree Guide and Map
Travel Guide & Map
Mobile App for NW ONSSC on Facebook
Black Bear Hunters
Hunt NW ON
Its in our Nature

Traveling in Northwest Ontario's Sunset Country:

Questions and Answers

Here are answers to some questions you might have.


Northwest Ontario's Sunset Country has hundreds of lodges and resorts that vary from rustic to luxurious. There are also many full-service hotels and motels and more than 80 campgrounds for tents and recreation vehicles.

The Weather

In summertime the days are generally warm, sometimes hot with slightly cooler temperatures in the evening, but you should be ready for all types of weather.

clouds and rain heading in from the westbe creative with your nature photography

Light clothing is essential for daytime in the summer but for cool evenings bring a sweater and for rainy days a waterproof jacket. Hiking boots along with a comfortable pair of shoes are always a good idea. Don't forget your bathing suit!

Check out these sites for the current weather in the region of Sunset Country:


A fair exchange is given for U.S. funds at our banks and border travel centres. There are 24 hour ATM banking machines. Visa and Mastercard are the major credit cards are accepted.Some businesses accept American Express. Discover Cards are not accepted.

Retail and service businesses expect and prefer payment in Canadian dollars but most will accept US Currency. The following form is provided by The Universal Currency Converter Services

  I want to convert... enter any amount
of this type of currency

scroll down to see more currencies
into this type of currency.

scroll down to see more currencies
By using this service, you agree to be bound by the terms of use agreement.

Can I Bring My Pet?

When bringing pets over three months of age into Canada, you must have a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within the previous 36 months. Most lodges and resorts welcome pets, but you should call ahead.

Crossing the Border

U.S. visitors require proof of citizenship: birth certificate, driver's license, or passport. Youths under 18 traveling alone will also need a letter of permission from a parent or legal guardian.

Medical Insurance

If your medical plan does not extend coverage to Canada, you will need extra health coverage. Should you become ill or injured, fully-equipped hospitals are easily accessible in most areas.


Sunset Country is policed by the Ontario Provincial Police, and local police forces. Ontario is one of the safest places to visit and live.


Canada's gun control laws mean no handguns or fully-automatic weapons are allowed into the country. During the hunting season, if you are 18 years of age or older, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into the province for hunting purposes and up to 200 rounds of ammunition. Primitive weapons such as bows are also accepted if your purpose of visit is hunting. To obtain a hunting license in Ontario, you must bring your current or expired hunting license from your home State or Province.

For more information see the Canadian Firearms Centre website.

Fishing and Hunting

Fishing and hunting licenses are required and can be purchased from most sporting-goods store, resorts, fly-in camp, and from the Ministry of Natural Resources. For more information on seasons, regulations, and license fees call: 1-807-468-2501. Hunters: Remember to bring a copy of your license from your home State or Province.

Driving in Ontario

Your driver's license is valid in Ontario. Seat-belts are mandatory and speed limits are posted in kilometres.
    • Multi-lane highways:90 - 100 km/h = 55 - 62 mph.
    • Two-lane highways: 80 - 90 km/h = 50 - 55 mph.
    • Urban areas: 40 - 60 km/h = 25-37 mph.

Floatplanes are visible everywhere in Red LakeKayaking on Lake of the Woods at Coney Island

Regulations and Other Information

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources has their Sport Fishing Regulations Summary available for downloading. For more details about fishing and hunting regulations, as well as, crownland camping permits and restriction information contact the Ministry of Natural Resources:
Box 5080, Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X9
Phone: 807-468-2501

For Provincial Park information also contact the Ministry of Natural Resources but at:
810 Robertson St., Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X9
Phone: 807-468-2669. You can also visit the Ontario Parks website.

For Canada Customs regulations you can contact by phone the Fort Frances Border (crossing) at 1-807-274-3655.

If you have any other questions check our help page or contact us using the information you'll find below. For our free seasonal Adventure Guides and specific travel enquiries please use our enquiry system.

Sunset Country ... a place like no other.

Ontario Towns
SW2Hunting and Fishing
Take a closer look More pictures More pictures